The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is excited to announce a renewed collaboration with antimicrobial stewardship (AS) experts from Tufts Medical Center on a program to enhance AS support and activities in our long-term care facilities. Drs. Shira Doron, Gabriela Andujar Vazquez, and Maureen Campion will share their experience as leaders of a successful program recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
In the coming months, there will be new opportunities for education, feedback, and discussion with these experts around promoting and implementing AS strategies and leveraging your quarterly antibiotic start benchmarking reports. We look forward to partnering with and supporting you. Please explore some of the tools and resources we have available and begin reporting your facility antibiotic start data today. For more information on this program, please click here.
Tools and Resources
DPH Antibiotic Start Reporting Program
- Tracking Your Antibiotic Start Data | Healthcentric Advisors
- Antibiotic Start Submission FAQ
- Antibiotic Start Reporting Calendar
- LTC Antibiotic Stewardship Honor Roll
Tools to Assess Antibiotic Utilization
- Antibiotic High Utilization Guidance
- Toolkit To Improve Antibiotic Use in Long-Term Care | Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Shorter is Smarter – Appropriate Use of Short-Course Antibiotics in Common Infections (table)
Continuing Education & Antibiotic Stewardship Resources
- Continuing Education and Informational Resources on Antibiotic Use | CDC
- Appropriate Use of Short-Course Antibiotics in Common Infections: Best Practice Advice (article) | American College of Physicians
- LTC “Office Hours” Webinars
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Tool Kit for Improving Evaluation of UTIs in the Elderly
- Interfacility Infection Control Transfer Form
Information for Residents and Families
- What is Antibiotic Stewardship?
- Suspect a Urinary Tract Infection? How Taking Antibiotics When You Don’t Need Them Can Cause More Harm Than Good
- When Do You Need an Antibiotic?
- Nursing Home Effective Communication Toolkit
IDSA Practice Guidelines for Common Conditions
- Clostridioides difficile Infection (Summary | NEW!)
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infection (Summary | NEW!)
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia (Summary | NEW!)
- Uncomplicated Cystitis and Pyelonephritis (UTI) (Summary | NEW!)
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection (Summary | NEW!)
- Asymptomatic Bacteriuria
- Common Cold Summary (NEW!)